July 18, 2004

Being Boring

I have this peculiar thing going on. Whenever I listen to a good song & 'connect with it', the hair on the back of my head stands up, or I get goose bumps followed by going numb for 3 seconds. This is something I haven’t been able to explain. By ‘connect with it’ I’m referring to the phenomenon wherein music & lyrics go hand in hand with mood I’m in, and I experience some weird kind of epiphany. Quite a lot of Pet Shop Boys songs have had this effect on me.



I am a Pethead and for the uninitiated that’s a fan of the duo Pet Shop Boys. The following – powerfully orchestrated, pop, dance, witty, wry, absurd, profound, ironic, melodramatic at times, are some of the tags I would attach to their music. I ‘ve listened to most of their albums & can’t quite tell which one I’d swear by. Every album is as good as the other except for their first release (‘Please’). 'Please' sounds kind of dated, but the songs still retain their je ne sais quoi.

So its 4am & I just woke up with the strains of ‘Being Boring’ in my head. I still can’t put a finger on this one. I can’t figure out what these guys are talking about. It’s a haunting song. Got online to check out what it’s all about & then came across this very beautiful & minimal site. This site does a good job of trying to disect the song down but is still unsuccessful. The Black Holes of the Universe can be explained in time. But 'Being Boring' is as elusive as an intergalactic outlaw's cruiser that has managed to perfect the science of travelling through wormholes of the universe.

The uninitiated might wan't to buy a Pet Shop Boy's latest 2 CD compilation album called 'Pop Art'. You don't know what your missing out on.

No comments: