March 28, 2004

Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain

Wah! What a movie. Just finished watching this great movie called " Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain" or simply "Amélie" for short. Its a french one with subtitles in english. In the beginning the rapid-fire french narrative interfered w/ reading of the subtitles. But I caught on. I'm a damn slow reader as it is; Still it felt as though the subtitles where trying to keep up w/ the narrator. I don't want to describe this movie (too much) as watching it is like going on a journey & making startling discoveries. The movie is shot somewhere in France. There r a lot of old buildings, wrought iron gates n' railings, acordian music, dull yet rich wallpapers. Everything is enhanced by a blue filter (I'm guessing here- I think there is another colour also filtered). I bet if u cut the movie up into 4 minute chunks & played pop tunes in the background it'd come of as a music video. a la Björk, maybe? Somewhere in there Amélie (the protagonist) finds love. Then, logically speaking, this movie is abt finding love! But wait a minute, its not like the usual girl/boy sees-meets-falls scenario. Its weird & gave me one of those weightless feelings u experience whilst peering into a kaliedoscope (for hours on end). In the end I felt like rewinding & watching the different layers in each scene once more. This movie is an audio-visual treat as there r a lot of references left abt in different scenes eg- an Edith Piaf song played in the railway station.

So whats the movie abt? Like I said its a discovery of love & a lot of other things. If u r a guy & can't figure out how the strange minds of women work, this movie isn't going to make anything clearer. Blame it on their cycles/moon/evolution!

This movie also reminded me of another love story called "Lucky Jack". Lucky Jack is abt an unlucky Jack who gets lucky. This movie isn't offbeat, its quaint & good. Jack is portrayed as this hesitant person who loses out on a lot of opportunities. He finally meets this woman. Overcomes all the unnecessary circumstances or rather chucks it all away & gets his girl. I never saw the starting credits roll & hence didn't know the movie title. But I guess they titled the movie so aptly, as u'd find urself saying 'Lucky Jack' at the end.

No comments: