March 18, 2004

Hokusai & How he did it

I've been fascinated by printing techniques. Unfortunately this fascination hasn't been strong enough for me, to get into the DIY mode. The interest has been dormant for quite awhile now. Last Friday I had been to the Chitrakala Parishad (an art academy in Bangalore) for an exhibition of students work. I thought I'd be lost in the gallery for atleast a good 3hrs. Unfortunately the exhibition was a wash out & it felt like only the painting dept. had something substantial to exhibit. There were some art-for-art's sake installations strewn around the place including a particular ugly one made from a ripped up motorcycle & a shitload of wires. Someone activated a sensor in it & the bloody thing kept beeping for an hour.

I saw a couple of interesting etchings & linocuts out there. Etchings r prints made from etched zinc plates. Linocuts r prints made from linoleum sheets with designs cut into them.

Which brings me to Hokusai.
Hokusai was an 18th century Japanese artist who is known for his wood block prints (Edo Period). I've always wondered how he incorporated colours in his prints. So one thing lead to another & presto I found a couple of informative links.


What is a Print?

The Technique of the Colour Wood-Cut

Jim Breen's Ukiyo-E Gallery - Hokusai

No comments: