May 23, 2004

The Marriage Reception & after


The Marriage Reception:

Had loped of to Cochin on Friday for Anju & Zabil's wedding reception. It was held in a hall saturday, afternoon. Anju was wearing this brownish silk saree. (Did I see a hint of red somwhere? I can't tell) The Zari work was dazzling & not to mention exquisite. U could trace the pattern w/ ur pinky & not bump into other elements of the design. Nice!!
Our man, Zabil was looking sharp in a black, well cut suite that made him look a lot taller. It was a small gathering. Spotted a few familiar faces of which 25% I recognized, the rest where a tangle of names & familiar faces. Met Neck's brother too. Neck is trying for some advanced course in medicine. Its scary to think abt Dr. Neck starting practise. It was nice to see ppl remembering me as that bearded chap & funny uncle.

After the function I had a shit load of time on my hands. Wandered around a 5km radius around M.G. Road. This happens to be my 3rd visit to Cochin. Wished Caviar was around. Had around 5 hrs to kill. Came across a book exhibition & bought 'The Story of Painting -from the Renaissance to the present". A nice book on art history. Thought I'd grab a beer. But the afternoon sky was dark w/ rain threatening to pour. So I decided to get a rum & coke & another rum & coke from a seedy joint where the lighting made cockroaches look like peanuts. Gulped my drinks & got the hell out of that hole. Made it to the hotel room, ate a lot of hot,mucho delecioso vadas & spent my time channel surfing w/ a fuckole remote. The high hit me before I grew tired of channel surfing.

I was staying at the Udupi Ajantha Home. Its an old building gone through a series of renovations. The bathroom had green brass taps one for hot & another for cold, a gleaming white sink & black ceramic tiles. gr8t. I like the colour of verdigris.
I could have stayed in there for days.

The Ride Back Home:

All the luxury buses out of Cochin were booked solid for 2 days. So I decided to catch a KSRTC bus back home. I got seat number 2. I recommend it coz u can stretch ur legs out. And u have a nice view of the road up ahead. Only fuckup was when the bus stopped, u had to draw ur legs back in lest they get trampled to pulp & oncoming vehicles w/ headlights on high beam. Man can those things tattoo ur retina.

On the journey I realized that there existed only 4 kinds of animals on the road:
1> Roadkill - those animals hit by ur vehicle.
2> Potential Roadkill - those animals asking for it.
3> Roadkilled - the ones the vehicles before us, beat us to.
4> Roadhogs - human bastards that wanted to outrun u for no apparent reason.

Reached Calicut in 5 & 1/2 hours! Passed Mysore, The roads over there r gr8t & the road to Bangalore had a lot of jackfruit vendors. Those things where the size of Mysore durbar bolsters. Reached B'lore at 12pm. EOF

No comments: