September 11, 2004

Old School Blues



Offlate I've been nostalgic. It began as I was going through my stash of old games. Retrogaming is something I've alway wanted to dabble in & to an extent I have. By retrogamming I mean playing of old games, repairing relic consoles, coding emulators to capture the spirits of old hardware. To an extent I've accomplished this:

Playing- check
Repairing (read as open cabinet, clean cobwebs, resolder bits & bobs)- check
Coding Emulators - buhahahaha, I can't code for peanuts (for now atleast!)

One game that reminds me of the good old days was 'Another World'. It was & still is a classic. Minimal vector graphics & a tough gameplay. Very little music & PC speaker sound effects. The game has a very cool narrative technique & it was one tough mother of a game too.

Another World Reviewed & its creator Interviewed for those interested. Download it

Atmosphere is something that stands out in any game that Eric Chahi is involved in.

Suprisingly a new game Alien Hominid also harks back to those '80s 16-bit games. Reminiscent of Capcom's Megaman series. Everything is handrawn in this game, its very cartoony, frentic like the violent rabbit in Lucas Arts's Sam & Max Hit the Road.

No comments: